Forums

What will be the impact of chess being solved?

Sort:
Ziryab
nameno1had wrote:

I contemplate this idea quite often. Some people act as if they would quit playing, if it was finally solved. I would guess checkers is already solved, but I am sure people still play. I think it could be possible for someone to memorize all of the nuances of checkers, but I don't think even the greatest memory I have ever seen for memorizing chess moves, could completely take advantage of it.

Even armed with the knowledge that, if one plays with one of today's popular openings or defenses, that would possibly become shown by engines, to produce a sure fire result for either side, should all of the best moves be made, we as humans will still be confronted with the daunting task of memorizing the best lines, and hoping if our opponent forces us into a different line, that it won't garner a different result.

Does anyone else see it differently? I could possibly see the Magnus Carlsens of the world, perhaps taking advantage of one opening for white, but you can't always use the same defense. I just don't see anyone ever being anywhere close to, being able to memorize enough, that they would be unbeatable.

If I am not way off base here with my idea, why is it then, people would want to quit playing Chess? It makes no sense to me. Besides, if we all suddenly have access to NZT and can remember it all. I am sure with our newly increased intellect we will create something new and chess-like to challenge each other and ourselves.

I spend a bit of time myself wondering how I'll cope when chickens and turkeys take over Wall Street and the government.

LeeBradbury

Chess will never be solved.  No computer and no man will ever manage that.

nameno1had
Ziryab wrote:
nameno1had wrote:

I contemplate this idea quite often. Some people act as if they would quit playing, if it was finally solved. I would guess checkers is already solved, but I am sure people still play. I think it could be possible for someone to memorize all of the nuances of checkers, but I don't think even the greatest memory I have ever seen for memorizing chess moves, could completely take advantage of it.

Even armed with the knowledge that, if one plays with one of today's popular openings or defenses, that would possibly become shown by engines, to produce a sure fire result for either side, should all of the best moves be made, we as humans will still be confronted with the daunting task of memorizing the best lines, and hoping if our opponent forces us into a different line, that it won't garner a different result.

Does anyone else see it differently? I could possibly see the Magnus Carlsens of the world, perhaps taking advantage of one opening for white, but you can't always use the same defense. I just don't see anyone ever being anywhere close to, being able to memorize enough, that they would be unbeatable.

If I am not way off base here with my idea, why is it then, people would want to quit playing Chess? It makes no sense to me. Besides, if we all suddenly have access to NZT and can remember it all. I am sure with our newly increased intellect we will create something new and chess-like to challenge each other and ourselves.

I spend a bit of time myself wondering how I'll cope when chickens and turkeys take over Wall Street and the government.

So how do you cope?...The chickens are too scared to get a real job and put themselves at everyone else's mercy and the turkey are the poor bastards who keep losing their money to the chickens...

nameno1had
LeeBradbury wrote:

I think a computer could in theory someday, but who cares? If you can't memorize the lines, its a mute point anyway...

Kingpatzer
nameno1had wrote:
LeeBradbury wrote:

I think a computer could in theory someday, but who cares? If you can't memorize the lines, its a mute point anyway...

I agree with your last statement, but your first is actually incorrect, at least with respect to digital computers. If quantum computing becomes a practical reality, then there is a theoretical possibility of a soft solution. But that is generally not what people mean by "solved."

TheGrobe
nameno1had wrote:
LeeBradbury wrote:

If only this were true....

ilikeflags
TheGrobe wrote:
nameno1had wrote:
LeeBradbury wrote:

i'm trying to figure out if this was the smart ass, or the asstard typing.

zborg

Don't mute that moot point?

Hope springs eternal, nonetheless.

nameno1had
Kingpatzer wrote:
nameno1had wrote:
LeeBradbury wrote:

I agree with your last statement, but your first is actually incorrect, at least with respect to digital computers. If quantum computing becomes a practical reality, then there is a theoretical possibility of a soft solution. But that is generally not what people mean by "solved."

It appears you read minds now....what am I thinking?

nameno1had
ilikeflags wrote:
TheGrobe wrote:
nameno1had wrote:
LeeBradbury wrote:

i'm trying to figure out if this was the smart ass, or the asstard typing.

It isn't my fault you can't read...becareful before your fingers overload your aspirator...

ilikeflags

it would be so much more fun if you were as smart as you want us to think you are.

nameno1had
ilikeflags wrote:

it would be so much more fun if you were as smart as you want us to think you are.

I didnt claim to be...I tell you what since you seem so threatened by my present level of intelligence...I'll stop now and let you try to catch up...cheers

ilikeflags
nameno1had wrote:
ilikeflags wrote:

I didnt claim to be...I tell you what since you seem so threatened by my present level of intelligence...I'll stop now and let you try to catch up...cheers

are you under the impression that i thought you "claimed" something?

theSicilianDragon

Hi guys, with regards to a quantum computing solution:

The power of a quantum computer is still limited by how much storage space it has. Even on a normal computer, chess is a constant-time problem (with a gigantic constant), and is a problem which will require a complete game tree to solve. This puts chess in the realm of problems for which the limiting factor is storage space, not computing time. A quantum computer will still need to store this entire game tree to deterministically solve chess, and thus, the benefit of quantum computing is negligible. QC is great for problems with a large amount of math, but chess reduces to a set of queries on a gigantic database. Hopefully, memory encoding becomes efficient enough for me to see chess being solved, but this is unlikely at best. The best thing QC can do for chess comes from a higher storage density, but this improvement would have to be colossal to even make a dent in the problem.

zborg

Yes, storage is the binding constraint.

Thanks for being relevant, helpful, and nice.  Neat trick. 

TonyH

what happened to marathons and track events once cars solved the rapid transportation problem? 

nameno1had
TonyH wrote:

what happened to marathons and track events once cars solved the rapid transportation problem? 

People started taking PED's to get faster...lol

ilikeflags
nameno1had wrote:
TonyH wrote:

lulz!!!

nameno1had
ilikeflags wrote:
nameno1had wrote:
TonyH wrote:

lulz!!!

You are paying me so much attention, I am begining to think that you like me or something...is rather creepy...

ilikeflags

yeah