Forums

Who else with Average IQ sucks at Chess ( lol ) ?

Sort:
cabadenwurt

We have a thread on the go here in these forums about people with high IQs that seem to have problems playing Chess. I felt that this was somewhat elitist and that they were excluding a lot of people. Therefore we have the question as posed in the title for this thread ( and I think that we should exclude all of the geniuses from the other thread ) --- ( of course those who may be  Self-Professed Geniuses need to be excluded too  lol ).

IrrationalTiger

I remember reading somewhere that the average stated IQ on the internet is 148, 48 points above the actual average.  That's standard deviation though, right? Wink

PatzerLars

148 ? Then I am sub-average. Can I post nevertheless ?

I suck at chess.

cabadenwurt

Well one problem that I am going to have with this thread is how to verify IQ, who could we trust to tell us the truth ? Hmmmmm.

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the posts. What we need here is a verifiable IQ test that can be done over the internet, but then how can we tell who is taking the test ? Someone might let their 5 year old youngster take the test.   

cabadenwurt

However, on the other hand over at that other thread ( the high IQ one )we could not verify any levels there either. Hmmmm.

cabadenwurt

Well I guess we will have to trust people, no lying happens on the internet, right ? ( lol ).

cabadenwurt
[COMMENT DELETED]
cabadenwurt
[COMMENT DELETED]
browni3141

I don't think it would be hard for someone of high IQ to intentionally get approximately any score he wanted that's below his real IQ.

cabadenwurt

Good point Browni3141, I guess that we will have to trust people. Mind you the rules were quite lax over at that other thread, after all they even let me in there to post  lol. 

cabadenwurt

In my case I've never had to take an IQ test ( things must be more relaxed up here in Canada ) but based on my schoolwork from many years ago I would say that I was at a average level. Mind you I would hope that I am close to the upper part of the average group  lol. I guess that those people who think that they are in the high IQ group are under a lot of pressure, after all they should be ahead of the average people. A bit of a burden to bear ? 

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the posts LimauValley. Re the 148 IQ rating does anyone have a approved chart as to who is in which group based on their test scores ?

cabadenwurt

Of course we could get deep into a discussion over IQ versus Talent. Let us say that a good IQ score is needed to be able to study higher math. Does that however mean that our math whizz could just take up Baseball and become a top level fast-ball pitcher such as Nolan Ryan was in his heyday ? Or then on the other hand could Nolan Ryan have become a top level Professor of Mathematics ? IMO, the answer is probably no in both examples.      

zborg
cabadenwurt wrote:

We have a thread on the go here in these forums about people with high IQs that seem to have problems playing Chess. I felt that this was somewhat elitist and that they were excluding a lot of people. Therefore we have the question as posed in the title for this thread ( and I think that we should exclude all of the geniuses from the other thread ) --- ( of course those who may be  Self-Professed Geniuses need to be excluded too  lol ).

Oh Thank You, Thank You, for starting this thread.

We are not worthy.  You made my Sunday!  Laughing

guapo_to_its

Me low IQ sux in chess. lol

ManOfZen

I don't understand the question.

tfulk

I'm dumber than a bag o' hammers, and I suck at chess. I'll have to start a new thread for dummies. Then will we get into combinations and permutations, though? Someone will want to start a thread for those who are average intel but great at chess, etc.?

cabadenwurt

Thanks for all of the recent posts.

Kborg, thanks for the Compliment, glad you like this thread.

Guapo_to_its, Chess rating is not the point in this thread, the Chess Enjoyment Factor ( Ratio ? ) is the real point here --- ie: HAVE FUN and poop on that other thread  lol.

ManofZen, this thread is sort of a counterpoint to the " Other " thread, the one for the alleged High IQ types ( and all of their Genius buddies ). Therefore the 1st post here was sort of " Tongue In Cheek " lol. IE: they are so wonderful over there that they cannot get over themselves ( And NEVER forget that their poop DOES NOT give off any odour at all  rofl ).

Tfulk, let me just say that you are at least average like the vast majority of us here on this little Planet. The real question is: are you enjoying playing Chess ? Also our happy little thread should come to include lots of people who enjoy Chess ( and the Self-Professed Geniues can stay over at their own thread  lol ).

PatzerLars
ManOfZen wrote:

I don't understand the question.

Laughing