Vacation scheme

  • #1

    Would it be possible for a player to go on vacation for 24 hours, come back and move in all the games he wasn't sure to lose, immediately go back on vacation for 24 hours, come back and do the same thing and keep doing it perpetually, and thus avoid ever losing.  If so, please do something about that. Time left on a move should decrement by 24 hours at least between successive uses of vacation time.

  • #2

    You have a limited amount of vacation time. Plus, if somebody is using vacation time to avoid losing it can be reported to the mods.

  • #3

    Yes I figured anything can be reported. But then you've have to collect data to prove it, get screen shots of their game list, etc.

    And with 60, 90 days of vacation you could postpone losses for a very long time without it ever hampering your play that much. 

    It would be better for chess.com to merely fix this problem with a small coding change. Not that they will probably.

  • #4
    Eberulf wrote:

    Yes I figured anything can be reported. But then you've have to collect data to prove it, get screen shots of their game list, etc.

    And with 60, 90 days of vacation you could postpone losses for a very long time without it ever hampering your play that much. 

    It would be better for chess.com to merely fix this problem with a small coding change. Not that they will probably.


    Do you know how long it takes to accumulate 60 or 90 days of vacation? A LONG time. If someone has that much vacation accumulated, they are almost certainly not the type to abuse vacation, as that would require playing for a few years without actually ever using your vacation time.

  • #5

    Oh, ok.  Should have read the rules more carefully:

    "All members then accrue an additional 2 vacation days per month: one on the 1st, & one on the 15th."

    Just saw the 60 and 90 day max for premium members.

  • #6
    Eberulf wrote:

    Would it be possible for a player to go on vacation for 24 hours, come back and move in all the games he wasn't sure to lose, immediately go back on vacation for 24 hours, come back and do the same thing and keep doing it perpetually, and thus avoid ever losing. 


    short answer:

    No, this is not possible.

    ----------------------------------------

     

    long answer, including an explanation of what might have been your misunderstanding:

     

    You may have been (mistakenly) thinking that when coming back from vacation, an amount of 24 hours was added to all of your clocks in your ongoing games. This is not so.

    When you come back from vacation, and if this vacation has lasted for less than 24 hours, say for example 20 hours, then 24 hours will be subtracted from your vacation time while 4 hours will be added to the clocks in all of your ongoing games in which it is your move.

    Every time you go on vacation, at least 24 hours will be subtracted from your vacation time. If your vacation lasts less than these 24 hours, the time difference is not "stolen" from you, but given back in the form of added time on your game clocks.

  • #7

    Um, why?  They may not lose the games - but they are not going to win them either.  Seems like sour grapes to me.

  • #8
    ilmago wrote:
    Eberulf wrote:

    Would it be possible for a player to go on vacation for 24 hours, come back and move in all the games he wasn't sure to lose, immediately go back on vacation for 24 hours, come back and do the same thing and keep doing it perpetually, and thus avoid ever losing. 


    short answer:

    No, this is not possible.

    ----------------------------------------

     

    long answer, including an explanation of what might have been your misunderstanding:

     

    You may have been (mistakenly) thinking that when coming back from vacation, an amount of 24 hours were added to all of the clocks in your ongoing games. This is not so.

    When you come back from vacation, and if this vacation has lasted for less than 24 hours, say for example 20 hours, then 24 hours will be subtracted from your vacation time while 4 hours will be added to the clocks in all of your ongoing games in which it is your move.

    Every time you go on vacation, at least 24 hours will be subtracted from your vacation time. If your vacation lasts less than these 24 hours, the time difference is not "stolen" from you, but given back in the form of added time on your game clocks.


    No, you're thinking about something I wasn't even thinking about.

    Here's the scenario:

    You have 90 days of vacation accrued.  You have 10 games you're sure to lose and 20 you're still in.  Go on vacation for 24 hours (which is the minimum). Come back and just move in those 20 games you're still in, but don't move in the games you're losing, and then immediately go back on vacation.  The time left to move in the games you're losing has not decreased because you've been on vacation.  (We'll if you're off of vacation for say a couple of hours, then the time time left to move has decreased a couple of hours.) 

  • #9
    Archaic71 wrote:

    Um, why?  They may not lose the games - but they are not going to win them either.  Seems like sour grapes to me.


    You'd be surprised how much of that exists here.  Inexplicable? Yes.  Nonexistant?  No.

    Just imagine:  You devote your life to the great game that is chess (I've been using the rhetorical "you" a lot in this thread though).  You are nearly a flawless player.  And then inexplicably and horrifingly you make a blunder very uncharacteristic of your greatness, and are on the verge of losing to someone obviously your inferior.  How can you live  with that?  How could anyone? Best to abuse vacation and not let this upstart think too highly of himself.

  • #10
    Eberulf wrote:
    Here's the scenario:

    You have 90 days of vacation accrued.  [...]

    Well, in that case, that person would be just throwing away his vacation time for nothing. He will lose his delayed games anyway when his vacation time is used up, and he will not have any vacation left for the times when he really needs it to keep all his normal games from timing out.

  • #11

    ^^^

    +1

  • #12

    Some games were won here with vacation + stalling tricks.

  • #13

    War of attrition. I think there is a room for improvement there(to stop the stalling + vacation tricks), it only depend if the solution to that trick could be easily implemented.

Top
or Join

Online Now