Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Chess for Oldtimers --- Good Idea !


  • 6 weeks ago · Quote · #1401

    sirrichardburton

    I saw a clip once with w c fields juggling with pool balls etc I really was amazing, btw did anyone see a clip where he is a clerk in a store and he waited on a blind customer. The customer used his cane to tell where he was going but meanwhile he smashed about

    100 light bulbs.than wc cut out 1 stamp which the customer wanted from the middle of the page, so wc ruined about 10 other stamps. Very funny stuff.

  • 6 weeks ago · Quote · #1402

    kaynight

    There was a film of him charging through a hotel in Hong Kong? astride a little car.

  • 6 weeks ago · Quote · #1403

    Tyro_UK

    I gave up being a chess club member 10 years ago when I lost a game after being 2 pieces up. I  enjoy playing here cos you have plenty of time to reconsider moves and there's no one to jeer if you play substandardly! I am 85 years old.

  • 6 weeks ago · Quote · #1404

    kaynight

    Bravo! Sir!

  • 6 weeks ago · Quote · #1405

    cabadenwurt

    sirrichardburton wrote:

    I saw a clip once with w c fields juggling with pool balls etc I really was amazing, btw did anyone see a clip where he is a clerk in a store and he waited on a blind customer. The customer used his cane to tell where he was going but meanwhile he smashed about

    100 light bulbs.than wc cut out 1 stamp which the customer wanted from the middle of the page, so wc ruined about 10 other stamps. Very funny stuff.

    --- Thanks for the posts.

    Sir-Richard: Yes I also remember seeing that stuff years ago. Btw when I mentioned Laurel & Hardy I forgot to add in Buster Keaton, another very funny guy.

  • 6 weeks ago · Quote · #1406

    cabadenwurt

    Tyro_UK wrote:

    I gave up being a chess club member 10 years ago when I lost a game after being 2 pieces up. I  enjoy playing here cos you have plenty of time to reconsider moves and there's no one to jeer if you play substandardly! I am 85 years old.

    --- I'm very glad that you are enjoying being here at this site. Many years ago while I was still at school I loved to play baseball ( mainly from grade 4 thru grade 8 ). I was not very good at the game but I played as much as I could and liked the game a lot. I like the game of Chess a lot too, but like with baseball my skill level is not the greatest but I will carry on playing anyway.

  • 6 weeks ago · Quote · #1407

    cabadenwurt

    I quite like this quote from Vlade Divac:  " We all get heavier as we get older because there is a lot more information in our heads ".

  • 5 weeks ago · Quote · #1408

    cabadenwurt

    Time for another cute little saying and this time I have found one that covers life and Chess at the same time ( and is also a warning for those who feel that they are " big wheels " ). It is an Italian proverb that says: Once the game is over, the KING and the PAWN go back in the SAME box ! ( a proverb that truly gets down to it ).

  • 4 weeks ago · Quote · #1409

    cabadenwurt

    cabadenwurt wrote:

    Time for another cute little saying and this time I have found one that covers life and Chess at the same time ( and is also a warning for those who feel that they are " big wheels " ). It is an Italian proverb that says: Once the game is over, the KING and the PAWN go back in the SAME box ! ( a proverb that truly gets down to it ).

    --- Well it would seem that this little proverb has produced some shyness here. Is it perhaps the " Once the game is over " part that has made people a bit nervous ? We must of course all come to terms with the fact that we are only going to be on this little planet for a limited amount of time ( some a bit longer than others but still limited nonetheless ). And yes I must state again: The King and the Pawn go back Into the SAME box. To quote a line from a song: " Not another minute can all your money buy ".  

  • 4 weeks ago · Quote · #1410

    cabadenwurt

    Time for a short little item in relation to food and diet, etc. This one comes from one of our favourite characters, Mister WC Fields: " Once, during prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water ". Not much fun that  lol. 

  • 3 weeks ago · Quote · #1411

    motherinlaw

    cabadenwurt wrote:

    Time for a short little item in relation to food and diet, etc. This one comes from one of our favourite characters, Mister WC Fields: " Once, during prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water ". Not much fun that  lol. 

    Lovely!  I'd never heard that one!  And I can instantly hear it delivered in his distinctive, musical voice --- that perfectly off-hand, throw-away, "dry" (you should excuse the expression) style of his.

  • 3 weeks ago · Quote · #1412

    paidro

    wat am i torkin bout ????Tongue Out

  • 2 weeks ago · Quote · #1413

    cabadenwurt

    Thanks for the new post.

    Just had the chance to again watch " My Little Chickadee " which has WC Fields in fine form for this film. Mae West is also involved in this project and together they do quite a sendup of the old western movies.

  • 12 days ago · Quote · #1414

    cabadenwurt

    Earlier this year Reader's Digest magazine had a feature on " The Secret To Power Aging ". They mention a fellow by the name of Dr Ephriam Engleman who at age 104 is the head of a research center of UCSF ( yup I said 104 years young ). This guy makes me feel like a young pup  lol.

  • 4 days ago · Quote · #1415

    cabadenwurt

    And the cry from the cheap seats is " More jokes please ! "

    A quote from Gene Perret: " Retirement, it's nice to get out of the rat race but you have to get along with less cheese . " ( hey that is not funny at all ).

  • 16 hours ago · Quote · #1416

    motherinlaw

                               
                                        True Courtroom Quotes

    • Lawyer: "What happened then?"
    • Witness: "He told me, he says, 'I have to kill you because you can identify me.'"
    • Lawyer: "Did he kill you?"
    • Witness: "No.”
    Lawyer:  "Now, you have investigated other murders, have you not, where there was a victim?"

     

    Lawyer: "Now, doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in his sleep, in most cases he just passes quietly away and doesn't know anything about it until the next morning?"


    Lawyer:  "Was it you or your younger brother who was killed in the war?"
    Witness:  "What do you think, counselor?"


    • Lawyer: "Doctor, how many autopsies have you performed on dead people?"
    • Witness: "All my autopsies have been performed on dead people.”
  • 16 hours ago · Quote · #1417

    Knightly_News

    motherinlaw wrote:
                               
                                fantastic lawyer 'jokes' I will foreward (thanks)       

Back to Top

Post your reply: