Forums

best chess program?

Sort:
jwLtc73

hi im a 1250 player! i was looking for great chess books, then someone told me

that chess softwares/programs are way better in some parts.

so i researched them and learned that people love chessmaster 10, fritz 9 and rybka 3. Now, eventually i'm going to get a rybka 3, but for now what should i get?

i heart that chessmaster 10, 11 and fritz 9 is good(but i only want to get one!)

so thank you to all of you who are going to answer me!

RyanMK

Rybka 3 is the best availible now. Also, you should still read some chess books.

jwLtc73

thank you, but i'm trying to decide between fritz and chessmaster (im eventually going to get rybka 3 sothat doesn't matter. what i want for the chess program is

a good trainer that can really improve my skills

RyanMK

I've heard that Fritz 10 is good for training.

dkuperman

I'm a beginner and own Chessmaster 10. Since I've started using the program I was able to really improve my game. I haven't used the other softwares mentioned, so can't speak about them. I agree with the other user that Josh Waitzkin is excellent, having him teach you from basic moves, strategies, up to some more involved games was a great learning experience. The program also contains a vast database of chess openings, and narrated games that guide you through why the player made certain moves. 

One of the features I like most about the software is that on "training mode" you can at the end of the game ask the software to analyze your game, and it will go play by play showing you what you did and what other moves were possible and even better... this has been a great training tool for me.

As I read some chess books, I also use Chessmaster along with the book instead of using a typical chess board... not sure about you, but as I'm reading the notations, I can get lost (again, I'm still trying to get used to the notations and having to imagine every move in my head doesn't quite work)... so I use the Chessmaster and setup the game as it shows in the book, then I play against myself moving the pieces as I'm reading the moves from the book. I then save the 'setup' so I can go back to that specific chapter and replay those moves.

Note: for some reason I had trouble installing the software on my laptop at first, but then called tech support and they guided me through a workaround (some conflict with a device driver I had, it seems)... didn't have the same issue with my new laptop, installed flawlessly.

Hope this helps! :)

Paul-Lebon
jwLtc73 wrote:

hi im a 1250 player! i was looking for great chess books, then someone told me

that chess softwares/programs are way better in some parts.

so i researched them and learned that people love chessmaster 10, fritz 9 and rybka 3. Now, eventually i'm going to get a rybka 3, but for now what should i get?

i heart that chessmaster 10, 11 and fritz 9 is good(but i only want to get one!)

so thank you to all of you who are going to answer me!

Chessmaster 11 is an all in one solution, with, IMO, a more attractive interface than Fritz. Plus, it's got three chess courses (Josh Waitzkin's Academy, Larry Christiansen Attacking Chess and the Chessmaster Series course) included. It will analyze your games and give you audio/visual feedback as it replays your game. I also find the various chess personalities more interesting than Fritz's friendly mode. For my money, CM 11 is the best thing going for a beginning/ early intermediate chess player.

Now, were I a serious club player, with +1600 Elo rating, then I'd just get Rybka/Aquarium and be done with it.

johntheChristian

I play Gnu Chess on winboard. Not fancy, but practice enough for em

stwils

How does Chessmaster 11 compare to Chessmaster 9? I bought CM 9 a few months ago for less than $10 and really like it. What does 11 have that 9 doesn't?

stwils

vigor_mortis

Another strong vote here for Chessmaster.  Chessmaster 10 or 11 are both great with essentially the same material.  The interface is fantastic but the teaching tools are unbeatable.  Josh Waitzkin's Academy is the absolute best for a novice player both in terms of topics covered and his natural teaching style.  He really gets you excited to learn and builds your confidence to play. 

I can't recommend Chessmaster enough.  You can pick it up used at Amazon or Ebay for $10-20 US.  Good luck!

00Selbym

I would advise, chessmaster:grandmaster edition, its EXCELLANT!, its taught by Joshua Watzkin(i think thats his name lol), the american grandmaster, and also the film searching for bobby fischer is based about him, the lessons are taught by him in vocals, so its not just reading all the time, the challanges are really good, and it covers everything.

Its quite expensive, but if your counrty allows downloading torrents, then download it off mininova. But if your counrty dont allow downloading torents, then just install peer guardian 2, and your isp will never find out.

Matthew

vigor_mortis
stwils wrote:

How does Chessmaster 11 compare to Chessmaster 9? I bought CM 9 a few months ago for less than $10 and really like it. What does 11 have that 9 doesn't?

stwils

If you like Chessmaster 9 (9000, right?) Chessmaster 11 is even better.  It is hard to compare because two different software companies made the different versions.  As I mentioned above the level  and quality of instruction in Chessmaster 10 and newer is incredible.    Also the interface is very easy and very nice looking.  I also have Fritz 11 and I rarely use it.  (Maybe some day I will when I need a really strong chess engine.)

likesforests

If you're going to buy Rybka3 eventually, go with Chessmaster. The Fritz GUI and engine are completely redudant once you purchase Rybka whereas Chessmaster will still have value in the form of tutorials and interesting sparring partners.

likesforests

Chessmaster 9000 vs Chessmaster 11? The primary difference to my eyes was the addition of new tutorials by Josh Waitzkin (the "Art of Learning" course). It's also stabler, better-looking, and more cpu-friendly when you minimize it. A month of Chess Mentor may be better bang for you buck if you already have CM9000 and it works fine.

stwils

I have Josh on Chessmaster 9000. It requires putting in the 2nd disc. Maybe it is the same as what is on CM10 and 11?

stwils

likesforests

Chessmaster 11 has those, but it also includes a completely new series of interactive tutorials by IM Josh Waitzkin based loosely on his book, "The Art of Learning". Whether that is worth upgrading for... depends on how much you enjoy his tutorials. :)

zabe

Hi,

Fritz 10 or 11 very good for playing, training and analysing. But to improve your skills, you have to read theory as ideas behind openings (which are in your repertoire), endgames basics, pawn structure, etc. For this Fritz-trainer dvds are excellet help (www.chessbase.com). Ofcourse your choice depended on how seriously you want to play.

Spinatai

I only used Chessmaster, but I LOVED IT, especially Josh Waitzkin's lessons which were both instructive and interesting! Chessmaster all the way!

TheChessGod
00Selbym wrote:

I would advise, chessmaster:grandmaster edition, its EXCELLANT!, its taught by Joshua Watzkin(i think thats his name lol), the american grandmaster

Josh Waitzkin is an IM not a GM. As for chess engines I recommend Chessmaster over Fritz.

KnightNotHorse

I was at Best Buy a few days ago and was thrilled to learn that Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition is down to $20!  See the link here.

00Selbym
TheChessGod wrote:
00Selbym wrote:

I would advise, chessmaster:grandmaster edition, its EXCELLANT!, its taught by Joshua Watzkin(i think thats his name lol), the american grandmaster

Josh Waitzkin is an IM not a GM. As for chess engines I recommend Chessmaster over Fritz.

Are you sure, because in the film 'searfching for bobby fischer' his teacher gives him the certificate of grandmaster. If im wrong, then i apologize.

Matthew