Forums

Defences to the Parham Attack

Sort:
DrSpudnik

Hey KCO, don't ask for whom the bell trolls! Surprised

The_Gavinator

Yes the Parham is less common, although the percentages for the Parham are better.

shepi13

Gavi's database = 6 wins white, 5 wins black, 6 draws

My database = 4 wins black 1 draw

Combined = 6 wins white 9 wins black 7 draws

Percentages = 27%        41%           32%

Well that seems much worse than the ruy lopez.

Some notes - drawing % is about the same. So much for Gavi's claim that ruy draws more than parham.

- White winning % is lower with parham than with ruy lopez.

- Black winning % is higher with parham than with lopez.

Also, even in your database alone black's win % is abnormally high. Players prefer to play for 2 results, win or draw, rather than for 3.

DrSpudnik

In the world of statistics, small sample size makes results unreliable.

The_Gavinator

Shepi what database are you talking about? And the Ruy wins less than the Parham.

shepi13
The_Gavinator wrote:

Yes I just took a statistics class, although there is no other reliable data, so you must proceed with caution, that's the issue with the Parham, is there's a lack of games.

And shepi what database are you talking about? And the Ruy wins less than the Parham.

The one here :), although I have access to about 5 other ones, would you like me to combine them all?

shepi13
Qh5 5
2010 2471/2378/2657
20% 40% 40%
shepi13

That's from chesstempo.com

johnmusacha

Everyone knows that the 365chess openings databases are littered with many irrelevant and poorly-played games.  Like half the games on there will turn out to be like "New Jersey Aspberger's Chess League, Under Nine" or the like.

If we had a database of only professional and master games, I'm sure the Parham would be not only more prevalent, but would be shown to win in greater proportion than many may think.

shepi13
2. Qh5 13

30.8%

30.8%

38.5%
shepi13

Chessgames.com

shepi13

Seems like every online DB except Gavinator's has black scoring better than white.

The_Gavinator

Yes, that's why I showed the percentages from the mainline, that excuses the idiots who get pwned because they don't know where to go after the 4 move mate attempt.

Shepi, 5 games total? Are you joking? That's hardly valuable, and that's on move 2.

DrSpudnik

Proceed with caution all you want, but if you don't have numbers, you're really just peddaling fairy tales and anecdotes about trivial nonsense.

shepi13

Chesstempo after Ne2

2010 2476/2381/2657
25% 25% 50%
shepi13

5 isn't much worse than 17.

shepi13

Especially if you realize I used 3 or more databases combined.

nameno1had
The_Gavinator wrote:

Yes I just took a statistics class, although there is no other reliable data, so you must proceed with caution, that's the issue with the Parham, is there's a lack of games.

And shepi what database are you talking about? And the Ruy wins less than the Parham.

I think it would be fair to say, but hard to prove and then account for the level of competition in those games. GM's don't play it, because they know it's basically a "crap shoot". So the reliability of the data being on par with the lines that GM's use, that we consider reputable, would have to be under scrutiny. Its like comparing cadillacs with yugos and saying that because people effectively commute with them by percentage, at a better rate than the cadi's, that somehow makes them better.

DrSpudnik

The results may also be systematically skewed, because most people will only play this against someone they think they are about guaranteed to beat anyway. If that's true, then the mediocre results for White are even more discouraging.

The_Gavinator
shepi13 wrote:

5 isn't much worse than 17.

You have 5 games on move two. Most people go for the 4 move mate then flop. The results on move two are unreliable. I have 17 on move 5, it's completely different.