Forums

Battle of Morgarten II: McGoohan and HolographWars vs rychessmaster1 and CM thegreatauk

Sort:
vickalan

16.Q(12,15)+

null

thegreatauk

(15,12)

McGoohan

Now I'm a little confused. At first I thought (15,12) was an illegal move and auk made a typo. Then I thought about it again and consulted our rules: "Pawns play the same and promote at the same rank as in classical chess."

And when you consult the FIDE rules, they say:

"3.7.1 The pawn may move forward to the square immediately in front of it on the same file, provided that this square is unoccupied, or 3.7.2 on its first move the pawn may move as in 3.7.1 or alternatively it may advance two squares along the same file, provided that both squares are unoccupied, or 3.7.3 the pawn may move to a square occupied by an opponent’s piece diagonally in front of it on an adjacent file, capturing that piece."

“On its first move the pawn may advance two squares along the same file.”

This can be clearly interpreted as meaning that the rule with the FIRST move refers to ALL pawns.

Until now I never thought about this possibility and always assumed that only the Pawns on rank 2 and 7 have two squares as a possibility.

Before I make my move, I want the question cleared up. This also applies to the pawns on (-2) and (25). What is your and vickalan's opinion?

thegreatauk

Actually I just made a typo and meant to play (14,12)

vickalan

All pawns are allowed an initial move of two-squares: "Pawns play the same...as in classical chess". So thegreatauk's first declared move is legal:

null

Both SuperSam1 and I have made pawn double-square moves in our game (Chess on an Infinite Plane), and it was never debated or questioned. (But since there is some confusion, I might start adding it as a note in the game rules).

Since it is a legal move, it means thegreatauk's move is valid and should be played. The move (14,2) should be played only if McGoohan's team says the takeback is allowed.

vickalan

Typos are binding. According to (rules), fixing a typo is the same as taking back a move. The only time it can happen is if your opponent allows it.

McGoohan, HolographWars: Are you allowing the fix for the typo, or do you want the original move (15,12) to be binding?

McGoohan

The typo is binding.

17.QxC(2,9)+

vickalan
McGoohan wrote:

The typo is binding...

I agree with a strict interpretation of the rules. Tomato did it to me also a few weeks ago. I accidently posted a move which I ruled out, but posted a different diagram with my favored move. Tomato made me play what I typed.sad.png

vickalan

16.Q(12,15)+...(15,12)
17.QxC(2,9)+

null

HolographWars

AUK MUST ALSO AGREE

thegreatauk

OK, I guess so. Now I will never play a 4 player bulldog game again.

thegreatauk

I meant or bulldog I just can't play 4 play in this...

vickalan

Wow, both games of 4-player infinite chess were pretty bad. But congratulations to the winners:

blitz.pngblitz.pngblitz.png@McGoohan and @HolographWars (this game)blitz.pngblitz.pngblitz.png
blitz.pngblitz.pngblitz.png@McGoohan and @hitthepin (the other game).blitz.pngblitz.pngblitz.png

McGoohan being on the winning side in both games.😮

I was expecting really complex positions and interesting end-games. Instead it seems that a few blunders can make the inferior side deteriorate quickly.

I would still like to play again, but it will have to be later (when I'm less busy). I need a good player to be on my side, and I want to go against a team with McGoohan on the other side.😈

Naviary

I want to be on your team vick!

HolographWars

I want to be on McGoohan again

Naviary

I can now help mod a Morgarten game! Though I can't show what pieces have been captured like vick does on the top & bottom sidelines 😜

HolographWars

Many people have simply tried the game and found that they don't like it, like Luke hands.

vickalan

Trophies for @McGoohan and @HolographWars:

null

vickalan
Naviary wrote:

I want to be on your team vick!

HolographWars:
I want to be on McGoohan again.

Ok, this should be a great game (I hope this time), and I like the teams: (Naviary and me) vs. (McGoohan and HolographWars).😈

We just need McGoohan to confirm that he will play. I also can't start for a few days - I'm a little busy, but maybe start about 1-week from now?

And I like Naviary's board and graphics. All other rules are the same, right?

Martin0

Is there a point in improving in chess? We are here to have fun.