Why is bishop h6 the best move? Why sacrifice bishop for a knight?

sagarkaniche

NikkiLikeChikki
It’s not a sacrifice. It opens the kingside. The queenside is completely undeveloped, so the king is trapped in the middle with pieces swarming all around it. Black is in deep doodoo.
woton

You sometimes have to take an engine analysis with a grain of salt and not worry about why it prefers one move over another.  NikkiLikeChikki has a good point, Bxh6 shatters Black's Kingside.  I looked at the analysis, Bxh6 is rated +3.6, Bc4 is rated +2.7.  To the computer programmer, and probably high-level players, that's a significant difference.  I not sure that it is for average players.  We can find many ways to mess up a lead, be it 3.6 or 2.7.

Deranged

This is hardly a sacrifice. It's more like a trade.

But by making this trade, you accomplish 2 big things:

1) You cause serious damage to black's pawn structure: black gets double-isolated pawns on the h-file, which are notoriously weak.

2) You completely shatter the defence of black's king. Now if you manage to bring your queen to h5, this will be devastating and cause serious mating threats against the black king.

Deranged
ToastyPosition wrote:

My guess without looking at an engine is gxh6, Nxe5!!, fxe5, Qh5+, Ke7, Qf7+, Ke6, O-O-O+, maybe Kc7, Nb5+, Kb6, Nd6, and then maybe the queen can deliver mate after going to d5.

Your analysis is wrong because you're assuming that your bishop is on c4.

If we play the correct move (Bxh6), we're playing that move instead of Bc4, meaning our bishop still sits on the f1 square.

blueemu
Deranged wrote:
ToastyPosition wrote:

My guess without looking at an engine is gxh6, Nxe5!!, fxe5, Qh5+, Ke7, Qf7+, Ke6, O-O-O+, maybe Kc7, Nb5+, Kb6, Nd6, and then maybe the queen can deliver mate after going to d5.

Your analysis is wrong because you're assuming that your bishop is on c4.

If we play the correct move (Bxh6), we're playing that move instead of Bc4, meaning our bishop still sits on the f1 square.

Correct.

Still, 1. Bxh6 gxh6 2. Nxe5! fxe5 3. Qh5+ followed by Qxe5 forking h8 and c5 wins the piece back immediately, with two Pawns up and a strong attack.

No?

teju17

Benefits of the exchange:

blueemu

You have analyzed the wrong position. The engine suggests Bxh6 INSTEAD OF Bc4. You can't have both moves... it's one or the other.

teju17
blueemu wrote:

You have analyzed the wrong position. The engine suggests Bxh6 INSTEAD OF Bc4. You can't have both moves... it's one or the other.

sorry I put that bishop there by mistake

blueemu
teju17 wrote:
blueemu wrote:

You have analyzed the wrong position. The engine suggests Bxh6 INSTEAD OF Bc4. You can't have both moves... it's one or the other.

sorry I put that bishop there by mistake

4. ... Kf7, not f8. Playing it to f8 loses the Queen.

Dsmith42

1. Bxh6 gxh6 2. Nxe5! fxe5 3. Qh5+ Ke7 4. Qxe5+ Kf7 5. Bc4+!! is much better, since:

a) 5. ..Kg6 6. Qf5#

b) 5. ..Kf8 6. Qxh8+ Ke7 7. Nd5+ wins the black queen in addition to the h8 rook.

c) 5. ..d5 6. Bxd5+ and now Qxd5 is the only move that avoids forced mate.

The easy conclusion is that 2. ..fxe5?? is a blunder, but black is losing further material with alternatives.  For example, 2. ..O-O 3. Bc4+ Kh8 4. Nf7+ wins the exchange.  Certainly better than the continuation above, but this shows how tactically strong the initial 1. Bxh6 move really is.

NikkiLikeChikki
@woton I don’t believe there is any grain of salt. White is clearly better after the exchange on h6. With best defense black is down 3.6, but it’s worse than that.

Black has to defend an open position with an exposed king where one inaccuracy is death. White’s position plays itself and white’s king can easily castle to safety.

In theory black is down only 3.6. In practice this should be an easy white win after the trade on h6.
kaito014

hi guys i'm a beginer here , i want to know if there any chance to make money here by playing chess

teju17
kaito014 wrote:

hi guys i'm a beginer here , i want to know if there any chance to make money here by playing chess

Join a few big clubs like chess.com india ,chess school, etc. Sometimes they'll let you know if there are tournaments with cash prizes with no entryfee.

LeeEuler
woton wrote:

You sometimes have to take an engine analysis with a grain of salt and not worry about why it prefers one move over another.  NikkiLikeChikki has a good point, Bxh6 shatters Black's Kingside.  I looked at the analysis, Bxh6 is rated +3.6, Bc4 is rated +2.7.  To the computer programmer, and probably high-level players, that's a significant difference.  I not sure that it is for average players.  We can find many ways to mess up a lead, be it 3.6 or 2.7.

I agree. Characterizing Bc4 as a mistake seems harsh at intermediate skill levels

teju17

yes

teju17

Use decodechess.com it is very helpful

teju17

decodechess.com

elibus2020

Bishop and knight are equally good.

NikkiLikeChikki
Kaito has no games played and is asking about making money. Suspicious. 💻