Forums

Mainline_Novelty vs stubborn_d0nkey : WITH KIBITZERS!!

Sort:
Ben_Dubuque

yeah, plus not only can it be more entertaining, just imagine if white heads for the double muzio

stubborn_d0nkey

my current debate is between d5 d6 and taking the pawn, d6 might be dull so i probably wont play that. d5 seems interesting but i dont really like, and taking tyhe pawn would just lead to a boring draw now that its been solved

Ben_Dubuque

That was a creative April Fools Day Prank

IncrediBill
stubborn_d0nkey wrote:

my current debate is between d5 d6 and taking the pawn, d6 might be dull so i probably wont play that. d5 seems interesting but i dont really like, and taking tyhe pawn would just lead to a boring draw now that its been solved

I do not think that ‘accepting’ the King’s Gambit by capturing the f4 pawn will necessarily lead to a draw. (I am not sure if the King’s Gambit being “solved” is true or not, or whether that is just part of an April Fool’s joke).  In fact, as far as I know, the King’s Gambit is one of the few openings that have the lowest draw rate.

Whether you accept the Kings Gambit or decline it, one thing for sure is that you are in for an aggressive interesting game.

It sounds to me like you want to go the route of declining the Kings Gambit by not capturing the f4 pawn.  Instead of pushing your d-pawn either one or two squares, may I suggest playing . . . Bc5.  It is almost like you are reversing the Gambit, by giving your opponent the option of capturing your pawn.

Mainline_Novelty

Personally, I prefer the 3.Nf3 line, but I suppose we'll wait and see what th

e spectators like.

Ben_Dubuque

oh trust me the only one's who would not like it are those people who hate tactics, and are afraid to play those positions

Ben_Dubuque

in any case I suggest exf4

IncrediBill
jetfighter13 wrote:

in any case I suggest exf4

If @stubborn_d0nkey plays 2…exf4, then he will be accepting the King’s Gambit.  If he plays anything else, such as pushing his d-pawns or 2…Bc5, then he will be declining the King’s Gambit.  The choice is his whether he accepts it or declines it, and what move he makes if he does decline it.  Either way, it will be an interesting game.

stubborn_d0nkey

I'll edit in the board later

2... exf4

bresando

My favourite is 3.Bc4!

Mainline_Novelty

Personally, I prefer 3.Nf3, however, I don't know the theory on either, therefopre, I will go with whatever is the popular choice.

IncrediBill

Here is how your game currently stands:

IncrediBill

The move 3.Bc4 was a popular one with Bobby Fischer, but I do not think that we are in his ballpark.  The move leaves you open to an attack by Black's Queen, which will force you to move your King to the f1-square and lose your ability to castle.  See below:

Your best option would be to go with your instincts and play 3.Nf3.  That move will stop his Queen from coming into the h4-square.  After that, you can then bring the Bishop out to the c4-square.

bresando

3...Qh4+ is the exact reason i prefer 3.Bc4. Looks very tempting, and it's not bad in fact, but white gets a huge lead in development (very soon white will kick the time-wasting queen with Nf3 and play d4) and central control; it's a very decent deal to archieve all this at the expense of your castling rights. It's not easy to play black position in this variation. I would take white all the time after 1.e4 e5 2.f4 exf4 3.Bc4 Qh4+ 4.Kf1, and i think it's a widespread feeling among those who have looked at a few games in this line. Both 3...Nf6 and 3...Nc3 are more worrying for white, while 3...d5 is more annoying.

Mainline_Novelty

Sorry guys! Kinda forgot about this for a bit...anyways : 3.Bc4!

IncrediBill

Black should respond with 3...Qh4+.  I know it means bringing out the Queen early, but you will eliminate White's ability to castle, and you will be able to start to destroy the King side of the board.

bresando

As i already said 3...Qh4+ is a decent but time-consuming defense. White has considerable compensation for the pawn after that. Objectively both 3...Nc6 and 3...Nf6 are more worring for white.

stubborn_d0nkey

I was thinking either Nf6 or Qh4+, and I came to the conclusion that I haven't come to a conclusion yet (I thought I had), well, I should reply soon (after I toss a few coins :P) 

stubborn_d0nkey

3... Qh4+!! :P

Daeru

4.Kf1 is pretty much forced.