Forums

Vicariously-I (2200) vs littleLizz (1200) Game Analysis

Sort:
Michael-Holm

littleLizz challenged me to some daily games and asked for my thoughts.

Game 1

LSB = Light Squared Bishop

To recap:

Avoid playing b6 early in the game if you don't have a LSB to cover the weakened light squares you leave behind.

Game 2

DSB = Dark Squared Bishop

To recap:

1) You need to keep in mind that every pawn move weakens squares in your position. Pawns can't go backwards so you need to make sure that the squares you weaken can't be exploited by your opponent or if they can then at the very least you need to get something in return. By playing 11. f5 you lost control of the e5 square and you didn't have anything to show for it.

2) If you play f4 as White or f5 as Black when your King is castled Kingside then you almost always need to play Kh1/Kh8. It's not a good idea to leave your King on an open diagonal. That will just lead to tactical opportunities for your opponent. You'll often see strong players move their King in the corner before even touching their f-pawn just to make sure that there are never any unexpected checks or pins against their King.

Game 4

Your opening was excellent. Your main problem this game was that you missed tactics and hanging pawns.

To recap:

1) Work on your tactics by solving some tactical puzzles every day. Don't rush through the puzzles. You shouldn't make a single move until you are confident that you've figured out the whole solution.

2) You generally shouldn't move the pawns around your King. Your King was already weakened by losing the h-pawn and became even more exposed when you played 14. f5. 

Game 5

You played exceptionally well this game. You didn't give me many targets or weaknesses to exploit so I didn't have much to work with. This just goes to show that I can't force a win if you don't do anything wrong.

To recap:

Really your only major mistake was at the end. You played a very good opening and made some solid moves in the middle game as well. I think one of your main problems is your tactical vision. If one of your pieces can't move then that should be a red flag because your opponent might be able to trap it. So I think studying tactics would be the fastest way for you to improve. You do a lot of other stuff right.

little_guinea_pig

Thanks for posting this! So my main problem is weakening my own position with pawn moves? xD I thought it was blundering mates! btw, you are extremely strong, whenever I play Komodo I last longer than I did against you. Thx for the games!

In the first game, I was seriously considering 5....Qc8 but for some reason decided against it. I wish now that I had played that....

Michael-Holm

You're welcome!

Yeah one of your main problems is that you weaken squares in your position by pushing pawns.

Here's a video that I think would help you:

Beginner to Chess Master #13 - Chess Holes

Btw thanks for the compliment! happy.png

ezani

Hey there littleLizz, Master Vicariously-I (I'm calling you master from now on, I think you deserve this title), I would like to say I really enjoyed your two games and Master Vic's invaluable analyses! littleLizz don't give up! Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the sky! (As Sam Casey used to say!)

Michael-Holm

Thanks ezani! Maybe one day I will get a master title. happy.png

little_guinea_pig

I agree with ezani, I've played grandmasters before and I managed to reach a endgame (a piece down, but still an endgame.) You definitely deserve a master title! 

Michael-Holm

Thanks Lizz! I would only deserve a master title if I were able to play at a 2200+ level OTB though. There are some additional skills needed to play well OTB that aren't really a factor in daily (correspondence) chess.

Michael-Holm

Game 4 has been added. Game 3 wasn't very noteworthy.

little_guinea_pig

thx so much!

Michael-Holm
littleLizz wrote:

thx so much!

You're welcome! Feel free to share any thoughts you had or ask any questions about the game(s). 

little_guinea_pig

In the last game, I played h6 to stop Ng5, which I figured would be very unpleasant , I didn't realize it dropped a pawn :I

Michael-Holm
littleLizz wrote:

In the last game, I played h6 to stop Ng5, which I figured would be very unpleasant , I didn't realize it dropped a pawn :I

Oh I see. Well one option would be h5. Then my Queen and Knight wouldn't be able to converge on h7. h5 would also prevent Bh6.

little_guinea_pig

alright, thx!

Michael-Holm
Deng_XiaoPing wrote:
Thanks for posting these kinds of forums vicariously

Sure happy.png

Michael-Holm

Game 5 has been added.

ezani

Wow! Excellent analysis for littleLizz's fifth game.

little_guinea_pig

thx for the analysis on the 5th game!

jcsk8

Good analysys here. Thanks.

korotky_trinity
Vicariously-I wrote:

There are some additional skills needed to play well OTB that aren't really a factor in daily (correspondence) chess.

Daily games are some special stuff... I think.  Not many can play them well.

Michael-Holm

Thanks guys!