Forums

Puzzles needed for tactics trainer

Sort:
ClavierCavalier
Scottrf wrote:
ClavierCavalier wrote:
DJDopamine wrote:

Letting your king get into the mate threat seems a little off, but even if the king moves to the 3rd rank the rook will be able to take the passed pawn.  Maybe 2. Kg3?

Black would capture the bishop with check and then move to the a file.

I quote myself "...even if the king moves to the third rank the rook will be able to take the passed pawn."

What I meant by Kg3 is that it seems more natural to shy away from walking into their mate trap, even though RxB+ still wins the pawn.

Scottrf

He was clearly just demonstrating the mate threat to show that white can't queen.

Other moves are more obviously losing because you win the bishop with check.

And btw it doesn't matter that black has multiple moves to choose from, since you're playing white.

ClavierCavalier

Scottrf, I think you meant that the person is playing black.  I think I've seen puzzles declined due to have multiple replies from the computer that result in the same outcome, but I'm willing to accept I could be wrong.

DJDopamine,  Rc4+ is a great move.  It's too bad they're not accept puzzles.

Scottrf
ClavierCavalier wrote:

Scottrf, I think you meant that the person is playing black.  I think I've seen puzzles declined due to have multiple replies from the computer that result in the same outcome, but I'm willing to accept I could be wrong.

Almost every puzzle has multiple possible replies from the opponent, they normally choose the most instructive.

ClavierCavalier
Scottrf wrote:
ClavierCavalier wrote:

Almost every puzzle has multiple possible replies from the opponent, they normally choose the most instructive.

Almost every comment has multiple possible replies, but you always choose the most instructive!

Abhishek2

can people still post puzzles here for submission?

Abhishek2

aww I had a boss problem to submit!!

piphilologist

you can still post it here for everyone to see, even if it doesn't get submitted

Abhishek2

that's weird, I've already posted the game in another forum.

homernh

Luckily, my opponent missed this in a recent game. 

He played 2... Nd5+, and I lived to fight on!

(yes, white could throw his rooks away to add a few more moves, but it doesn't change the outcome.) 

iixxPROxxii
piphilologist wrote:

you can still post it here for everyone to see, even if it doesn't get submitted

If a puzzle is really good it will still be added. ;)

homernh
DJDopamine wrote:

After Rh2+, blacks best is Kg1. However, the puzzle must end after Rh2+.

If you mean White playing Kg1, it can drag out longer, but it's still forced. 

2. Kg1 Rg2+ 3. Kh1 Rxg4+ 4. Kh2 Rg2+ 5. Kh1 Ne2!  That threatens both ...Ng3# and Rh4#; White can't stop both.  I'll add this line to the diagram above.

The puzzle would not have to end after Rh2+; the computer (white) could make any of the four legal moves and the human could still force a mate. 

homernh

Thanks, I wish I'd spotted it a little sooner.  :(  After I eventually lost, the chess.com computer analysis also concluded it was a forced mate in 8 after my blunder 1. Kf2.

Abhishek2

he said it was closed.

Martin0
EndgameStudent wrote:

A few reasons :

Time consuming (main reason) - reducing time I have to improve my game

Proportion of ambiguous submissions still high.

Saying 'no' to submissions wasn't getting any easier despite the guidelines.

-ve Feedback eg.http://www.chess.com/tactics/server?id=403913 (more numerous than +ve feedback)

Numerous complaints about :

- lack of detailed analysis.

- people losing rating points as a new problem gains points, with some people being 'hit' by several new problems in a session.

Alternatives :

- automation possible, ideally a simple click of a button from a position in a game with new problems able to be voted off if disliked.

Abhishek2

he isn't looking at these submissions anymore.

iixxPROxxii
TableRond wrote:

EndgameStudent, did you post my puzzle??

If you really want your puzzle in TT you should message somebody in this group: http://www.chess.com/groups/view/chesscom---tactics-trainer-approvers

homernh

I know this is closed, but I'll put it up here anyway for fun.

chessgm8

A sideline of one of my puzzles that got in TT.

And a longer version:

Plus a slight variation:

And a final one with mate:

homernh

chessgm8, in puzzles 1,2, and 4, the correct move should be 4. Qg7#, not capturing the queen (although it's tempting) or going to h6 first. 

This forum topic has been locked