Forums

Chess.com Improvements

Sort:
balravens5

What's solitaire chess?

Dark_N_Stormy_Knight
DrFrank124c wrote:

I am interested in solitaire chess. Most chess teachers tell us that the best way to learn is to go over master games and solitaire chess is a fun way to do this. I now have a free software program Guess the Move that enables me to do this and also chessgames.com has a solitaire chess feature. But I think it would be more valuable to have chess masters annotate the moves in the games rather than just telling us if our choices are good or bad. 

As a diamond member you have access to all the Beginner and Intermediate study plans which have loads of Masters teaching the same things through video.  I would stop those videos and use as a solitaire study puzzle with master level annotation.  

Dark_N_Stormy_Knight
balravens5 wrote:

What's solitaire chess?

Make a move on the board, then turn the board around and act like you never saw the move coming.  It's very popular with those stranded on islands.

DrFrank124c
Dark_N_Stormy_Knight wrote:
balravens5 wrote:

What's solitaire chess?

Make a move on the board, then turn the board around and act like you never saw the move coming.  It's very popular with those stranded on islands.

Not quite, C.J.S. Purdy recommended it and he was a chess master and writer of many chess books. Bobby Fischer was among his readers.  Solitaire chess is played by taking a book of chess games, choosing a side  and then covering the moves with paper or index cards and  trying to guess the moves, one at a time, for the side you have chosen. It can be done with the videos but one is inclined to watch through the entire video without stopping and starting, altho it can be done that way. Chessgames.com has an internet solitaire chess game if you want to see how it can be done you can view a sample  for free.  But you have to be a subsciber to be able to view all of their solitaire games.  I am already paying chess.com so why should I pay another site as well. Also they do not give any notes other than saying a move is good, bad or indifferent. The instructional value of those games would be enhanced by having a master providing notes on each move.

OldChessDog

There is one thing. I use the notes feature quite a bit to keep track of where I am since I'm playing multiple games at once. It's great--but it does not automatically scroll all the way to the bottom. When I forget this I start taking notes and I'm in the middle of them. Then I stop, delete what I started, and scroll down to the bottom. Anyway, is it possible to make the bottom the default position?

Dark_N_Stormy_Knight

Ah ha!  So that is what it is.  I've been doing that probably 50 years; in USCF chess magazine they always have those.

balravens5

The mobile app should also be able to:

Allow message reading

Creation of Blogs/Forums

The Daily Puzzle should be there

Allow to view other's profile

Change password/username etc.

balravens5
gatorrt wrote:

dang boy

lol

ian_w_yip

I think that vote chess should show if you are moving or not because its annoying how you go on and see its not your move

netzach

Vote-chess does already show that if you click on "home/Vote Chess".