Forums

Member Search - How to Improve It?

Sort:
roundtuit

gumpty wrote: why would you search for somebody if you didnt know thier exact name? surely the searching by rating, country, age, and a combination of all 3 is much more usefull.? for example i would like to be able to search for all the players here that live within 50 miles of me and are over 30? i might know a few of them :-))

Why would you search for somebody if you DID know there exact name?

artfizz

Could I request consideration of two types of member search?

- a phonetic equivalent (e.g. Soundex) of the name. With this option ticked (or switched on when the standard search returned no results) - search for fishcakes would return phishcake5 (though not Tunatin)

- a search by context i.e. a forum search that returns member names. If I search for burnout, I would like it to return Rael (Burnout) and woodencardboard (Chess Obsessions).

Rael

artfizz wrote: Rael (Burnout) ...

Gosh, of all the associations... I really have to learn to resist my instinct for the dramatic, I should've gone with something like "Momentary Chess Fatigue".

/facepalm

artfizz

hackerandmodder wrote:

You mean "Kind"

Kind of. In which language are you speaking when you say : "Kind" ?

apesquared

It woudl be great to be able to search for members sorted by geographical proximity to a specific location (zipcode in USA, postal code or city name in other countries)

artfizz

I would like a member search option that would return a list of members sorted into order that I am most likely to beat them - whilst simultaneously maximising my rating increase (if successful). This would need to take into account: relative rating, length of losing/winning streaks, how long they had been playing in one stretch, etc.

Perhaps this belongs more in Start New Game?

Evil_Homer

hackerandmodder wrote:

American. I was talking about the previos post.

Buy a book on flags!

artfizz

gumpty wrote: if we had a search that could combine any of the following......location (maybe miles or kms from your own location could be added too), age, rating, sex, it would be great!

rdallison wrote: It would be great to be able to search for members sorted by geographical proximity to a specific location (zipcode in USA, postal code or city name in other countries)

hackerandmodder wrote: Thats a little...stalky, if a word at all. If my Google CSE search was put into place, it would search every term by default.

eBay already has a facility like this, but it only works within a single country. With members from 200+ countries, it will present quite a coding challenge for chess.com - taking account, for instance, of the Alaskans' adjacency to the Russians, and all those different zip/post coding conventions.

artfizz

Opponent Search using various parameters (from member statistics mainly) would be handy, especially if you could sort the results by any of those keys. e.g.

• Current rating
  • Highest rating
  • Average opponent rating
  • Games total
  • %Games won
  • Games in progress
  • %Timeouts
  • Average Time/Move
  • Average Moves/Game
  • Membership points

Each of these item should allow a range of values.

This functionality would be most useful if it were an extention to Start New Game, as a means of refining the selection of opponents (or selecting refined opponents!)

For this mode of member search, it would not be necessary to specify a member name.

artfizz
roundtuit wrote:

Thats exactly what I mean Patzer we put in (COT) and we get a list of all our members with (COT) added to their name, but because it was in the account name, it was through the other search which was available (View Players), you cannot add to your screen name when you join the Group, or take things out when you leave.

Being able to display the list of group members sorted by rating has suddenly become more necessary. Otherwise, it is difficult to discover who is the highest rated member of a group - in order to set appropriate rating restrictions on Team Match challenges.

(The sorting options at the moment are: Most Recently Online, Alpabetical and Join date.)

promotedpawn

Im not familiar on how this all works, and I doubt you have the time to read this, but I would prefer a detailed search with more criteria. 

artfizz
promotedpawn wrote:

Im not familiar on how this all works, and I doubt you have the time to read this, but I would prefer a detailed search with more criteria. 

Such as the one described in post #32?

artfizz

SEARCH MEMBERS BY RATING

I think it was AWARDCHESS who pointed out the FIND PLAYER search on the Players page http://www.chess.com/echess/players.html

artfizz
artfizz wrote:

SEARCH MEMBERS BY RATING

I think it was AWARDCHESS who pointed out the FIND PLAYER search on the Players page http://www.chess.com/echess/players.html

Regarding VIEW PLAYER, when you sort by ONLINE, it correctly lists the online players first.

It then lists the remaining players arbitrarily. It would be MUCH MORE HELPFUL if it listed them in the order of when they were last online (most recent first).

shakje

Wouldn't have thought a search by wildcard would be such a horribly expensive query, but I guess it would be dependent on the DB used and how the data's structured. Would have thought that the sensible thing would be to have an intermediate page where you select the user from a list if you do a wildcard search, taking out the burden of grabbing all the related data from the search results page. You'd only get information about the specific user on the page after (as it appears has already been suggested).

Skand

It would be nice if I could list the members in their rating order. This would help me in arranging better team matches as I would know how many players are there in different rating ranges.

artfizz
roundtuit wrote:

That is possible I think Skand, if you go to your Online Chess page, you can click on View Players in the Play Chess Menu.

Play Chess

Find Player

Member: Rating Min: Max: If you then leave the Member cell blank, you can put a Rating Min: and Rating Max, and then click on Search, this may help you.

Unfortunately, Skand wants to list the members of a particular group in rating order.

EternalChess
Monicker wrote:

We can do it where you search for "and" and get "andy", "andrew", "andover".

I would prefer that method myself.  Being able to narrow it down further by a rating range or location would be a nice thing to have.

amitprabhale

and, andy, andrew is the correct one....

artfizz
Skand wrote:

It would be nice if I could list the members in their rating order. This would help me in arranging better team matches as I would know how many players are there in different rating ranges.

Here's a method that will work:

1. Create a dummy Team Match against a dummy opponent.

2. (Making sure that AutoStart is set to 'NO')

3. Get all members of the group to sign up for it.

4. All members of the group will now be listed in rating order.