Forums

Live Chess 45|45 Time

Sort:
Haesthlin

This is to suggest the addition of a 45|45 and/or 60|0 time select for Live Chess.

Hello, while I do realize that my suggestion of a new time select being added may seem impractical due to the fact there is the option for customizing any amount you prefer, I do it for the reason of coordinating new games with others that seek longer games, and believe that this simple addition can achieve that. I am convinced the rate of slow chess games will increase tenfold over the current method of seeking games via customized time entries.

I have no doubt that there are many other players who would be happy to see this upgrade, and many who could benefit from it, and I would rejoice to see this option on this great website. I thank you for taking the time to review my proposal.

- Haesthlin

yucca

Hi Haesthlin, just to add my vote to yours.  Whilst the majority may prefer blitz or medium time controls I think enough people would want the longer games, and it's better for learning.  Looking forward to playing you in the Slow Chess Quads!

enhorning

I support the idea of adding a standard option for longer games.  My suggestions would be 30|15 and 60|30.

Farnel

I have started playing 45|45 games and my voice to the request for this as standard time control. The 30|15 aqnd 60|30 options would aslo be ok.

enhorning

45|45 does sound like a nice option too.

yucca

BTW anyone based in GMT or similar time zone may find my group useful for this - called http://www.chess.com/groups/home/slow-chess-european--african-time-zones meet on mondays at 7PM GMT.

Chregg

+1 count me in !

pwwaring

45|45 as a standard time control option is a great idea - +1!

ghostofmaroczy

I like to play 45+45. (I also like to play slower such as 55+34)

FreddyPatzer

The addition of a 45|45 standard option would be great.

Dstrenn

+1

Chess.com, please consider adding this as a standard option

defrancis7

I think that 45|45 minute should be offered as well.

SirIvanhoe_2

Well, I agree that this is a good idea. But I doubt it will have much effect on the amount or quality of slow chess played here. I suggest these improvements (especially to help with league play as we have at the Dan Heisman Learning Center, as I think this is the key to slow play ever being successful here):

1) allow TD's of slow chess leagues to see player logs that indicate at least logins and logoffs if not also challenges

2) allow a mechanism for automatic game starts (for scheduled leagues) and for auto game reporting to a sponsoring league

3) allow timestamps to be included in PGN's for download

4) stop aborting games immediately because a player takes a couple of seconds to make a first move - simple programming, just check the time control for the game and disable this 'feature' for games 30/0 or greater

5) allow games to be adjourned and then later restarted - stop forfeits after a short disconnection (especially when the disconnection is often the fault of the Live Server!)

6) help automate the process of setting up and running game forums that is crucial to organizing slow play

7) add 'groups' to the way you can view logged in players on the Live Chess Server so that you can easily see all players from your group without sending out 1,000 friend requests - even add a 'follow groupname' command

Slow Play has always been a distant 5th to various kinds of speed play on internet chess servers. We all get that. But the reason that slow chess has in the past mostly been unheard of on Chess.com is that support needed to make it work is virtually nonexistent.

Eternal_Patzer

Hear, hear!  

naturalproduct
Haesthlin wrote:

This is to suggest the addition of a 45|45 and/or 60|0 time select for Live Chess.

Hello, while I do realize that my suggestion of a new time select being added may seem impractical due to the fact there is the option for customizing any amount you prefer, I do it for the reason of coordinating new games with others that seek longer games, and believe that this simple addition can achieve that. I am convinced the rate of slow chess games will increase tenfold over the current method of seeking games via customized time entries.

I have no doubt that there are many other players who would be happy to see this upgrade, and many who could benefit from it, and I would rejoice to see this option on this great website. I thank you for taking the time to review my proposal.

- Haesthlin

+1!

pwwaring
SirIvanhoe wrote:

Well, I agree that this is a good idea. But I doubt it will have much effect on the amount or quality of slow chess played here. I suggest these improvements (especially to help with league play as we have at the Dan Heisman Learning Center, as I think this is the key to slow play ever being successful here):

Slow Play has always been a distant 5th to various kinds of speed play on internet chess servers. We all get that. But the reason that slow chess has in the past mostly been unheard of on Chess.com is that support needed to make it work is virtually nonexistent.

Add my vote - GREAT ideas!!

musiclife

I support such buttons, and note that the main reason I subscribed to ICC for years was due to the 4545 league and not much else.  It's worth it just for that if you want slow chess.  Would be nice to have a league through here as well.

yucca

Dude, despite chess.com not really being designed for it, the guys, including eternal patzer and SirIvanHoe, do a sterling job of organising slow chess competitions at the Dan Heisman Learning Center group, including Quads and Swiss.  In addition I am now organising a ladder tournament at http://www.chess.com/groups/home/slow-chess-european--african-time-zones designed specifically to cater to those in GMT or similar time zones or anyone prepared to play at around 7PM GMT.

K4rbon

I suggest to add 45, 60 and 90 m time control. I can't play long games and I'm sure other people can't, so this may be very helpful.

Aetheldred

You have my vote. I like 45/45.