What is development? - Kings Gambit
This is about
- what is development
- the kings gambit
- two attacking patterns
- a further mating pattern
If you mate with black in 18 moves something has gone really wrong for white. So let's look at the short game and then give a summary.
- The Kings Gambit is an interesting opening. It allows white to attack directly.
- But White must be prepared for several plans by Black.
- A piece can be developed on the 8th rank! (This is something I didn't have a clear idea about in my first 40 years of chess.) You see this normally in assymetrical openings.
- The white attacking idea is classical: Opening the f-file, getting a majority in the center, attacking f7 or the squares nearby.
- One black counterplay is very old but sounds modern: Keeping the pawn with g7-g5 and so the f-file closed, preparing a center counter in connection with careful development. Careful means fast! This leads to assymetrical positions, a complicated fight.
Try it out! It's fun.