Forums

KIA - stuck loosing a pawn

Sort:
blueemu

Re: Qe1 vs Re1 -

Since the Queen really belongs on e2 rather than on e1, another possible move order is e3, then Qe2, then e4. This loses a tempo, of course... but so does Qe1, then e4, then Qe2.

Either way, the combination of the moves h3 plus Re1 was unfortunate.

Ziryab

As is common in such threads, waffllemaster and pfren have offered excellent advice. 

I remember getting angry at IM John Donaldson because he wrote in A Strategic Opening Repertoire that players should stick to 1.e4 and 1.d4 until they had reached som level above where I was at the time. I was mid-1400s USCF and in my late 30s. I wanted to play the Reti and the English and was bored with 1.e4 (mostly because I hated playing against the French) and 1.d4 (because I was lost against the Slav).

Alas, I was getting beat at tactics in these "positional" openings. When I returned to 1.e4 and 1.d4, and took up the French as Black, my USCF rating began climbing. It took a few years to reach 1600, but then only three more to reach 1800. Less than three years after 1800, I hit 1982 (shortly after placing 2nd behind Donaldson in our strongest local tournament). I've dropped a bit since then, but I remain among the top players in my city.

Xylyze

So play the French defence to gain elo?

Ziryab
Xylyze wrote:

So play the French defence to gain elo?

It improved my positional understanding.