Forums

Stuff Non-Chess Players Say

Sort:
universityofpawns

I noticed at the club I used to go to for 10 years, that the non-player always had a mysterious friend who was a doctor, lawyer, engineer or scientist that could beat you easy, but never showed up.

dragonair234
universityofpawns wrote:

I noticed at the club I used to go to for 10 years, that the non-player always had a mysterious friend who was a doctor, lawyer, engineer or scientist that could beat you easy, but never showed up.

lol, haha, yep I know exactly what you're talking about. (Also I like how you used "the non-player" as a variable in that sentence.)

dragonair234
Newba wrote:

Well, thanks.

(But who was "you"? Cause I have no idea...)

Wind

Well, I'm Newba.

Nice2MeetU happy.png

dragonair234
Newba wrote:

Well, I'm Newba.

Nice2MeetU

:D ! 

ChePlaSsYer

Keep posting. We need to make this the longest thread ever.

https://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/longest-thread-ever

dragonair234

Thanks for sharing the link. I left a lengthy post over there. But since there are threads with thousands and thousands of comments, I don't think this is the type of thread for that. It's more about the quality of stories and thoughts that people share. Not "3 word stories" and the like. However, I am keeping an eye on the view count here. I think that's been pretty successful. 

dragonair234

Also.... is your username some form of "chess player" spelled out? Laughing

dragonair234

Bumped to the next page. Now my comment has no context. Yay! lol. 

MickinMD

I don't know what they say, but you can see what non-chess playing directors tell them to do. On the orig. Saved By The Bell, Screech played for the city high school chess championship, with both players moving the pieces with one hand and hitting the clock with the other!

And there have been a few times I've seen the board set up wrong on TB shows without "white on the right."

dragonair234

Yep. Chess in popular culture can be a bit disappointing. 

Boyangzhao

I linked it!

akafett
dragonair234 wrote:

Yep. Chess in popular culture can be a bit disappointing. 

Most of the time, that is true. However, I must point out that in the old James Bond movie "From Russia With Love," they got it right.

dragonair234
Boyangzhao wrote:

I linked it!

Thanks! *hug* 

stormin1ca

Ok some of these are hilarious!   Thanks for posting 

dragonair234
stormin1ca wrote:

Ok some of these are hilarious!   Thanks for posting 

Haha! Thanks! *hug* 

ThatChapThere

I'm sure there's some sort of rule in the business world that no cheap chess sets may by any means show a legal position. I've seen the black king and queen swapped, doubled pawns while all of the pieces are still on the board. And many legal positions are simply implausible random distributions of the pieces. Of course, some companies are very precise, like the one who sold the packet saying"contents: 32 chess men".

dragonair234

Now that I think of it... Technically it would be 30 chessmen and 4 chesswomen because of the queens, if the set comes with 2 extra queens. It's kind of weird that we would refer to a queen as a chessman. 

lol 

ThatChapThere

26chessmen, 2 chesswomen and 4 chessinanimateobjects. Rooks are chariots.

dragonair234

Wow, you're right!!!! (: