Forums

FINALLY over 1200 elo the story

Sort:
Hudlommen

This is just a post celebrating me finally getting over 1200 elo in Standard live chess

I made my acc. 2½ years ago, but held a long break after the first few months, i think due to hitting a ceiling and not having a clear direction of how to get past it.

Anyways i picked my game/acc. back up Nov. 15 2013 with the goal of getting past the 1200 mark and there by deleting the "Highest" (elo) set on the day i made the acc.. and today i made it!

I ended up with a score of: 
Won 139
Lost  112
Draw  5
Total: 256

with an avg. opp.: 977.432 
lowest score: 740
I have subtracted games played against a mate because our score was 59/4 in my favor and all before nov. 15

On my way to 1200 i have used very few openings, one because i believe in understanding what you do well before you move on and two because it was simply too much to remember more than a few openings in the beginning.
For the longest time (pre my long break) i used the King's Indian Attack/Defense every game. The hole could be round, triangle or star.. i would force the square no matter what! Of course this led to a lot of loses just from the opening.
When i picked chess back up i looked for something new to bite into and i "found" the e4..e5, d4. This opening really helped me getting some elo back on my chart, especially when i figured out the 1.e4..e5, 2.d4..Nc6, 3.d5..Nd4, 4.c3(!!) trap. 
Obviously few people fell in the trap, but it is still there.
Why was this so effective? i can only speculate, but i think it is down to the opening not really being covered as "the next big thing" anywhere. I think most new/lowlow level players look for the certain-win opening and had simply not found a video covering this opening.
This opening might not take me much further, but below 1200 only one thing i certain; your opponent can have two queens and you are left with ludo pieces, you can still manage to win and visa versa.

So should anyone new come past this post i know exacly how you feel. "Give me the damn cheat sheet! I just want to win", right? Here is what i can give you:

Use 
center pawn accepted as white (given that black takes, but work from there) It gives you an easy open center, that can be hard for new players to deal with. You don't have to think too much in crazy pawn moves, so the games are mostly the same and easy to learn from.

Use 
King's Indian Defense (KID) as black. I can't say if this is the best opening as black always BUT you can force your way into it almost every game no matter what white comes up with. That makes the games more uniforme and waaay easier to learn from down the line. The pieces cover each other nicely from the beginning and you can let white use all his tricks until he runs out of steam and then blunders. I've found that if i could defend to the point past move 25-30, white would have tried so hard to kill me that he would blunder in the end (low low level) 

I have never been taught chess by anyone and i started playing in my mid 20's - will i ever make it to the top? not even close, but chess is about the personal development..
All i know about chess i have learned from videos on chess.com and youtube.
And of course my toilet Kasparov pocket plus pocket chess (1987) chess computer. I love that thing..although it will one day kill me from a blood clot in my legs.

BishopTARDIS

Nice job.