Forums

Tournament Suggestion

Sort:
Wrinn

So I doubt I'm the only one that's considered this.  It's awfully annoying when a round of a tournament is put on hold for months because of a few unfinished games that have no consequence on who is advancing in a group or not.  The groups need to advance when a no-win situation occurs for the rest of the players in that group.  The remaining players should of course be allowed to finish their games, but as private games instead of tournament games.  I'm wondering if the programming allows for this?  Here's a short and simple example:

Something along the lines of:

variables and indices player1 - player#

if(player1.getPoints() + 0*player1.remainingGames() > player2.getPoints() + 1*player2.remainingGames()){

player1.winRound(TRUE);

}

The code checks the scenario if the first ranked lost the rest of their games and the 2nd ranked player won the rest of their games.  If this happened and the 1st ranked player STILL had the lead, then the round would be over.  This might have to be checked against all players in the group, as I'm sure there are cases where the 3rd or 4th etc. ranked player has enough unfinished games that they could also theoretically win the round.  Regardless, it's fairly simple to write.  Unless you want the code to also check for what happens if both players are tied and to calculate possible tie break scores and then pick a winner.  And then it would also have to check to make sure there can't be the possibility of either player having the higher tiebreak, which would just result in the round continuing untill a clear winner was able to be calculated.

.getPoints() and .remainingGames() are accessor methods that a PLAYER object storing win/loss/tiebreak/remaining game variables could call to return the needed information.

.winRound(BOOLEAN) is a method for deciding what happens to individual players after a round.  If TRUE, then the player advances.  If FALSE, then the player is kicked out of the tournament as usual, but their games would need to be reclassified as ONLINE instead of TOURNAMENT.  I'm assuming in the current model, tournaments check for when the remaining games counter = 0 to decide when to end the round.  By reclassifying (if it's possible), the counter could reach 0.  This is of course only required if it's too hard to recode how the tournament decides when the round is over.  Of the top of my head I can think of:

do{

runTournamentRound();

}while(tournyRound#.getGroupNum() > tournyRound.getWinners());

So, thoughts?  Good idea?  Bad idea?

funandniceisme

Good Idea

oinquarki

This has been suggested in the past, and I think it's on the staff to-do list.

artfizz
oinquarki wrote:

This has been suggested in the past, and I think it's on the staff to-do list.

oinquarki

You posted this about ten minutes later than I anticipated; rough day?

artfizz
oinquarki wrote:
You posted this about ten minutes later than I anticipated; rough day?

You had already nailed it in post #3 - I was just tying up the loose ends.

Wrinn

Ah hah so it would seem!  Guess that's why one should search the forums before posting huh?